A QA Manager for Analytics at Verimatrix participates in the creation of a large product suite that enables video analytics for video content delivered via satellite, cable, or the Internet for the company and our customers. The QA manager collaborates with his/her team and peers to deliver high-performing, scalable, high-quality products. The manager should enjoy working through the software development lifecycle. A successful manager will be proactive, interactive, creative, and flexible.
This position is responsible for managing the testing of enterprise data products assigned to QA. This includes reviewing and scheduling work requests, participating in scope definition for the products, driving the technical direction of testing software products, reviewing and approving requirements specifications, scheduling product versions, managing an international team of software test engineers, DBAs, and/or other technical specialists, leading project-level change control boards, overseeing the testing of documentation to support the products, coordinating with Dev Test engineers, Dev Leads, and Dev Manager(s) to ensure the effective testing of products, and other duties as assigned. Each team can have one or more leads as needed. The leads provide recommendations to the manager as well as assist in the daily management of the teams.
The QA manager will need to learn and understand the entire Verimatrix product suite, as well as gain technical knowledge of the entire system of Verimatrix Solutions. We are a global company and appreciate people with global awareness and knowledge (languages other than English are a bonus).
Some tasks the QA manager will have:
- Develops a world-class international software testing engineering team
- Includes recruiting, training, and mentoring of software test engineers and other technical specialists reporting to the QA Manager
- Provides meaningful performance feedback to his/her direct reports including annual personnel reviews
- Works with each direct report to set and achieve annual goals
- Empowers/coordinates teams to meet the product and project objectives
- Interacts with other Engineering Managers to ensure compatibility with other company produced software, co-ordinate software releases, and remove roadblocks for the teams
- Understands, in detail, the complexity and intricacies of software and data testing methodologies and software development plan(s)
- Understands the breadth of Verimatrix products and how they integrate in the ecosystem, so as to guide/prioritize the work better, and to better enable cross-team communication
- Plans and organizes regular team training and team meetings as needed
- Reviews, edits, and approves software requirements documents for Verimatrix software products that fall under the QA Manager’s jurisdiction
- Sizes and schedules the testing of features
- Plans and procures for hardware and software needs needed by the Manager’s group
- Reviews, edits, and approves engineering documentation, such as installation prerequisites, installation instructions, developer guides, and user and administrator guides
- Manages issues in the corporate issue management system for the software products under the QA Manager’s jurisdiction
- Participates with and leads others in achieving department goals
- Co-ordinates third tier technical support and provides assistance to our technical support team
- Creates and maintains software and/or data product testing project plan(s) as necessary. Ensures that the plan is maintained and communicated to key personnel and appropriate work groups on a regular basis
- Participates in setting and maintaining the department budget
- Works with the Director and VP of Engineering to develop and implement Engineering policies and procedures
- Ensures that all Engineering policies and procedures are fully explained and implemented and that the team adheres to all Engineering policies and procedures
- Develops and maintains departmental performance standards
- Other assignments as may be provided
This position reports to Director of QA within the Engineering team.
- Minimum two years of experience leading a team of 8-20 software QA engineers or five years of experience leading a smaller team (8 or less)
- Minimum one year experience working on mission critical software
- Minimum five years of experience in software engineering/QA in a full lifecycle environment as a software QA engineer
- Capable of analyzing and interpreting professional journals or technical procedures
- Must be an effective communicator both verbally and in written language with experience in writing reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Must have a thorough understanding of software engineering practices including a demonstrated commitment to software testing context-driven practices required.
- Self-directed and independent worker and manager. Must be able to take a direction from supervisor, flesh it out, and implement it without direct supervision.
- Must be able to communicate with both technical and non-technical people including clients and vendors
- Must be able to lead meetings and present to groups of at least 25 people
- Prior experience managing a team of test engineers or acting as test leading test processes
- Strong technical knowledge of testing AWS managed services
- Strong technical knowledge of testing NoSQL data stores (Hadoop, columnar such as HBase or Cassandra, ElasticSearch, etc)
- Experience implementing test practices for data analytics and big data.
- Prior experience testing in enterprise data warehouse, reporting, and analytics domain
- Prior experience testing deployments into enterprise data warehouse
- Solid understanding of automation test approaches and automation frameworks of enterprise data warehouse, reporting, and analytics domain
- Prior experience testing and managing test environments for Cloud deployments.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience
Each of the Following would be a Plus:
- Cloud development
- Experience working in an agile software environment (particularly Scrum and/or Kanban)
- Object-oriented design and programming experience
- RDMBS, particularly Oracle, development experience (administration experience a bonus)
- Scrum Master certification
- Security protocols, cryptography, PKI, SSL/TLS experience
- Service-oriented architecture
- Video Conditional Access Systems
- Video standards such as: DECE/UltraViolet, MPEG2/4, AVC, H.264, MPEG DASH, HTTP Live Streaming, PlayReady, Marlin and RTSP
- Video watermarking
- Windows Media
Verimatrix specializes in securing and enhancing revenue for multi-screen digital TV services around the globe. The award-winning and independently audited Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS™) and ViewRight® solutions offer an innovative approach for cable, satellite, terrestrial and IPTV operators to cost-effectively extend their networks and enable new business models.